Pleasant View man sentenced for infant son's death

Monday , January 22, 2018 - 1:41 PM

JACOB SCHOLL, Standard-Examiner Staff

OGDEN — A Pleasant View man was sentenced to prison Monday morning after he pleaded guilty to his role in the death of his 3-week-old son in 2015. 

Krystopher Mikehal Cleary, 22, pleaded guilty to one count of first-degree felony murder during a pretrial conference on Dec. 7, 2017 — a little over two years after his son, Kyson Cleary, died in a Salt Lake City hospital. 

Judge Joseph Bean gave Cleary the state mandatory minimum of 15 years to life in prison for the murder charge. Bean also ordered that Cleary pay at least $1,310.57 in restitution. This dollar amount will likely increase, as Bean said restitution will be open for a year so the family can add the child’s medical costs to the bill. 

Cleary was present for the Monday hearing alongside his attorney, Randall Marshall. 

The child’s mother — Madison Wilson — and her parents were also there and read prepared statements to the court. 

“I don’t think you meant to kill your son,” said Peggy Wilson, Kyson’s grandmother. “But your reckless behavior resulted in the loss of your son’s life, my grandson’s life.”

Doug Wilson, the child’s grandfather, expressed his discontent with how long it took for the case to conclude.

“I hope this will begin the healing process,” Doug Wilson said. 

RELATED: Pleasant View man accused of murdering 2-week-old son

RELATEDTrial set for Pleasant View man accused of killing his infant son

Madison Wilson described being in the hospital and refusing to sleep in fear she would miss her son’s final breath. She told Cleary that she does not forgive him, but she hopes she can one day. 

“Maybe one day you will own up to what you have done,” she said. 

Dean Saunders, deputy county attorney for the Weber County Attorney’s Office, briefly spoke about the injuries the child suffered and how Cleary originally tried to blame the child’s mother for Kyson’s injuries. Cleary later told investigators he heard the baby’s collarbone break, Saunders said. 

Weber County Attorney Christopher Allred was in court for the hearing. According to court records, he and Saunders have been the prosecutors in this case since it began in December 2015.

Cleary’s parents were also in court and gave brief statements where they maintained their son’s innocence.

“I lost my grandson; I had so little time with him,” Cleary’s mother said. “And today, I lose my son.”

Cleary gave a short, quiet statement to the court where he apologized for “everything that has happened.”

Before giving Cleary jail time, Bean said this case has been a “tragedy” for many people, and he apologized to the families for the length of the judicial process. 

“There’s no fixing this kind of tragedy,” Bean said. 

It was not clear when he will be transferred to the Utah State Prison to begin his sentence. Cleary has 30 days to appeal the court’s ruling.

Contact reporter Jacob Scholl at or follow him on Twitter @Jacob_Scholl.

Sign up for e-mail news updates.